Thursday, March 8, 2018

All My Olympic Quilts

Olympic quilt 1 finished
This is Olympic Quilt 1. It is a Gold Medal quilt. It set the bar high for what was to follow. Figuring out how to quilt this one was a challenge and I started, did what I knew I needed to do to start it, stepped back and took my time until it told me what to do next. I loved the dialogue the quilt spoke with me.
Olymic Quilt 2 done
Olympic Quilt 2 also is a Gold Medal Quilt. The spiral quilting plays well with the linear lines of the quilt itself.
Olympic quilt pillow 3 before stuffing
I was not so sure that Olympic Quilt 3 would make Gold.
pillow quilt 2 2018
When it was turned into a perfectly stuffed pillow it too became a Gold Medalist.
Olympic quilt pillow 4 flat
Olympic Quilt 4 was also trying to be a contender for Gold.
Olymic quilt 5
It also made the Gold status when it too became a pillow. The quilting was done horizontally to contrast with the leno weave of the silk fabric.
silk hanky qilted 2
Olympic Quilt 5 came out of the reject pile and was quilted in a grid to make the save.
image
The “pillow save” also created another Gold Medalist.
olympic 3 pillows cropped 180 nothing else
Three gold medalists which work together, or as I like to call them 3 ART pillows.
My friend Debbie wanted to see all of the Gold Medal quilts and try to find the commonality between them. There definitely is a commonality, but it is not obvious unless you have been following my work for a long time.
Let me know what you see as the commonality.
(I also did Olympic dyeing and Olympic scarves)

4 comments:

Deb said...

So lovely and yes I love seeing them all together! I will have to study them on a bigger screen when I get back from work. They are amazing.

Deb said...

So lovely and yes I love seeing them all together! I will have to study them on a bigger screen when I get back from work. They are amazing.

Gina said...

I too like seeing them together. As far as the commonality there is of course the fabrics that you have hand dyed but I also see what I might call a 'bulls eye' theme of a radiating pattern of quilting or a 'center' patch. I'm curious what others see.

Robin said...

The quilting really brings them to the next level!