Saturday, December 23, 2017

How Does One Collect A Perfect Palette Of Fabric?

image
I shared my fabric Palette on my blog yesterday.
I got this comment from a reader:
Wow, I'm impressed, Kay. Not solely by the amount or organization, but the variety. I work hard to have the range you have achieved, yet some how I have an abundance of blues and greens and paucity of yellows and neutrals. Your neutral section is outstanding.
I sent her this explanation of how I amassed this perfect palette:
It has taken me a long time to collect this variety of fabrics. I DO remember the 80’s when I had my fabrics stored in Xerox paper boxes, not knowing what I had. When I moved to my studio I found I had 4 full boxes of blues…because that was what was available. I have carefully pared that down.
The secret is buying what is being produced at a particular time even if you don’t need it right then.
Never buy a fabric that does the same job as one you already have in your collection.
Not only do I have a ranges of different colors, but if you study this you will see I have a wide range of values, from light to dark.
I also have concentrated on having a value range of what are thought of as neutrals: black, gray, and brown.
This collection is not just prints. I have an extensive amount of solids as the solids produced at any one time are so similar. So I realized I had to purchase those also when they were available before next year when they all were shaded quite differently.
I even have a collection of novelty prints, border prints, stripes and designer prints.
I can not recall any time in the past 10- 15 or more years that I could not find what I needed to create a vision from the fabrics I own.
This has allowed me to save time as I don’t have to spend hours or days searching for a fabric in stores or online only to find out it is not available at this time.

I want everyone to realize that these ideas can be used with a much smaller collection of fabrics.





3 comments:

Robbie said...

some great information you have given us! thanks so much!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sound advise for any quilter, Kay! Thanks for sharing your methodology.

Gayle from MI said...

Never thought about not buying anything if I have something that can already do the job. Good advice!