Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Bordering On A New Millennium- Building A Quilt

Recently I shared photos of this quilt on Facebook.
The full view of the quilt does not show the colors accurately.
I am going to share some close-ups with you that will give a pretty good color match.
image
This is the very center of the quilt. The area you are seeing is less than 6 inches on the quilt itself.
image
This shows a center that is about 16-18 inches in diameter.
image
This is a close-up of one of the North, South, East, West points. They are cut from a border print and the reverse of the print to create this symmetrical design.
image
Here you see the other set of yellow points cut from the same fabric as the previous set. They are cut from a  different part of that same fabric.
image
This is the third and last set of points. There are 16 of them and each is identical, all cut from the same fabric.
I DID NOT build this quilt from the center out.
I started with the section I call the circle of lace which is what you see directly next to the background. I used 32 repeats of the image to create a circle and then designed the center to fit the circle.
image
If you look closely at this image you will see the words MILLENNIUM written over and over. It was one of a collection of fabrics Jinny Beyer designed for the Millennium.
image
The blue swag print is a border print she designed for the Millennium.
I added the other fabrics to make a border that set off the rest of the quilt.
This was an exciting quilt to make and never fails to evoke positive responses from those who see it
image
This picture shows the entire quilt. I was not able to get a photo of it in it’s entirety than shows accurate colors.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous, I really love it, you are such a hard working and talented lady!










Gwyned Trefethen said...

A Kay Sorenson/Jinney Beyer collaboration makes for a winning combination. Stunning.

GranthamLynn said...

Your quilt is lovely. Beautiful work. I remember this technique. I don't do a lot of quilting lately but I do spend a lot of time visiting quilters. Maybe I need to get off the computer and quilt! My current living space doesn't give me much room. Anyway I'm following you now. I'd love for you to come over and visit! Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of work.
Have a good weekend.

quiltonia said...

That fabric reminds me to "let the fabric do the work." Your work is beautiful combined with Jinny"s designing talent.

Sarah Craig said...

That is truly an amazing work of art! Whoop whoop!!