Monday, March 2, 2015

My Lucky Stars

image

Finished at last! I started this quilt in the late 90’s!

I developed a way to piece 6 pointed stars without having to sew into any corners. I have done several quilts with this technique and this is the last one to be finished.

The stars are done with hand dyed fabric.

The black background was sprayed with a bleach and water mixture and then neutralized to keep the fabric from disintegrating. I used several different black fabrics which gives a lot of variety to the background.

image

I love the fabric I used on the back of this quilt. II t was a special piece I had been saving for just the right place. I used every single bit of it for the back of this quilt. I always choose pretty backs for my quilts. It doesn’t matter if no one but you sees it. When you use your best things it inspires you to do your best work.

6 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love it! For a quilt started in the 90s, it looks very modern today. I totally agree with your philosophy that using the best materials inspires the best work.

Robin said...

love the 6-pointed stars and the varied black fabrics. The quilting makes it extra special and the backing fabric seconds the nomination for a great quilt.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a neat star! Love the back.

quiltedfabricart said...

I love the background using the bleach discharge. I've tried that but it comes out rust or brownish. How did you get it white?

Christine Staver said...

What a great quilt. Love the discharged background. Would love to know how you did it.

Shannon said...

I love the combination of the solid stars and the discharged/patterned background. Fabulous!