Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Solution For Chenille That Doesn’t Fluff!

image

One of the members of our Art Quilt group yesterday shared her experiments making chenille from various fabrics. She had not washed hers and was having a devil of a time getting them to fluff.

I commented that even with washing some fabrics don’t fluff or may not look good after washing.

Then a light bulb went on in my head and I suggested maybe she could get an interesting texture by stitching back and forth in the opposite direction.

When I got home I tried it on one of the samples I did for my silk chenille jacket.

I love the effect. It also lets you see all the fabrics in the lower layers.

What will I do with this piece? Probably just use it as a sample. It also my provide inspiration for something I do in the future.

It also has possibilities to use it in just part of a garment or project to add a different texture.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

Haven't played with this technique in years!!! Forgot all about it! Hmmmmmm you have given me inspiration for my online challenge piece due in March...now to hope I remember this when I start on it! HA

Hilary Florence said...

This gives great textures and I think your idea really works.