Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Turquoise Is Green

image

This is the color I used to overdye the pieces I dyed strong orange last week.

It was interesting to see how different the results were on the cotton versus the silk.

On the silk the results were more of a  olive green shading to browns.

On the cottons the results were between a turquoise leaning green and a dusty green.

image

I am very pleased with this piece even though it was not exactly what I was trying to create.

You can see that whether the fabric was silk or cotton that STRONG orange was in control!

Although I sometimes know better to choose the colors I do when doing my dyeing, it always seems to be a pleasant surprise when I see the results.

I have taken Carol Soderlund’s Color Mixing For Dyers classes – both 1 and 2.

I do have the knowledge to control the results I get, but I am often a “by the seat of my pants” dyer!

Even being that kind of dyer the information I learned in Carol’s classes is something that guides me. I learned SO much in her classes.

My shibori techniques have been learned in Jan Myers Newbury’s classes.

Putting the two together has given me the skills and freedom to create some awesome fabrics I can create exciting quilts with.

If anyone wants to learn to dye fabric I highly recommend both of these instructors.

No comments: