Monday, February 4, 2013

The Villages Quilt Show - Part 3

image
This Baltimore Album style quilt by Gretchen Nonnemacher was my favorite quilt in the show.
She calls it “My Personal Album”.
I would guess it was between 50 and 60 inches square.
Everything about it was just magnificent: the blocks with their detail, the borders, the layout, the colors, and the quilting.
It is hand appliqued and hand quilted.
In addition to a First Place Blue Ribbon it also received the Peoples Choice Award.
The blocks are adapted from an Elly Sienkiwicz book “More Baltimore Albums”.
The blocks are 8 inches.
image
The center block is much larger than the surrounding blocks. It is so well done and no matter how long you look at it you will continue to find something new.
image
I love Eagle blocks in Baltimore Album Quilts. so many of the blocks were significant for her family.
image
No Baltimore album quilt is complete without a woven basket of flowers.
image
This silhouette block represents one of her granddaughters. You can see her fine quilting stitches clearly in this block.
I hope you have enjoyed these posts sharing some of the quilts from The Villages Quilt Show 2013.
It is a show that happens only every 2 years so I’ll be back with another report in 2015!
I am using the classic puzzle cut for this favorite quilt classic design.
Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Baltimore quilt is on my "list" and the longer I look at them the more I wish I had done it years ago "when I knew it all". This quilt is lovely and I appreciate you pointing out the pieces that where specific to the maker's family. AND I loved the traditional puzzle!

Robin said...

I love looking at Baltimore album quilts but have never wanted to make one. I've been away from my google reader for a while but am enjoying the puzzles now that I'm back to reading. Thanks for sharing. I love your chair fabric.