Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Heading Toward Another Finish–It’s Quilted

lodenshiborilayers

This is ready to layer and then quilt.

I am using Pellon Fusible Polyester Fleece. I fuse it to the back of the quilt top.

You can see the fabric at the right that I am using for the backing, facings and casing.

I like to choose a fabric that coordinates with the front of the quilt. You may not see it when it is hanging on the wall, but when I have a nice fabric on the back I do my best work.

I compare it to wearing pretty underwear – no one sees it but it makes you feel good!

lodenshiboriquilted

I really enjoy doing the machine quilting. I did slightly irregular horizontal lines on this quilt.

I can really put the pedal to the medal and zoom across the rows. I also find this is almost a Zen form of quilting.

lodenshibori quiltingcloseup

This is a close up of the quilting. The stitched lines are 1/8 to 3/16th inches apart. This was the best proportion for the size of the quilt. It also adds body to the quilt.

The only thing left to do is attach the facings and casing and sew them down by hand. That will actually take longer than it did to quilt it!

No comments: