Sunday, June 24, 2012

Design Process – “Rainbow Quilt”–Working On It

rainbowquiltdesignprocesslastsunday

This is the point I am at right now with this quilt design. I am not so sure it will be the final design, but it is only about the 10th idea I have tried with these fabrics.

I’d like to share a few steps along the way with you so you can follow my design process on this particular piece.

rainbowquiltdesignprocess1

I started out by joining the three pieces that will make up the center area of the quilt.

I added a strip of the secondary fabric to each edge after I determined what I though a proportional width should be.

rainbowquiltdesignprocess2

I really thought that this would make a great asymmetrical design so I cut strips a width I thought would work and pinned them to the quilt.

It was soon obvious they were too wide so I went on to the next design you will see.

rainbowquiltdesignprocess3

While this was an improvement it still wasn’t good.

rainbowquiltdesignprocess4

This is where I listened to the quilt and it told me it wanted to be symmetrical.

I added two strips that were the same and moved them towards the outer edges.

The last thing I did was to add the center strip you saw in the first photo.

I will now leave this on the design wall and study it while I work on other pieces.

Even though some things I create look simple you can probably see now that simple is not quick and easy!

3 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is really cool!! Love the color you are using!

magicmoonmusings said...

Thanks for sharing your design process - it's so helpful.

These fabrics look incredible!

kwiltnkats said...

Very different fabrics. Seems it may be the same piece throughout. I like that you selected the raspberry color to be at the top. Reminds me a warm skyline. Sandi