Monday, June 18, 2012

Another Gorgeous Happy Quilt On My Design Wall–Ready To Be Quilted!

Big flower quilt2betterthan1

This quilt started as a prototype for a design I wanted to teach. It didn’t look at all like this and it didn’t work for the class. One of the benefits of making quilts is so often the solutions to a design problem are so much better than the original idea. The only one of my quilts that ended up in the wastebasket was my very first. I had just started to sew when I was 13 and had no idea how to make a quilt. I just started sewing various shapes together. That was a long time and over 364 finished quilts ago. It also was well over 100 works in progress ago. I am making some progress finishing these works in progress now that my studio is organized again.

officequiltfirsttrypeachgreenfirstphoto

This is the original photo of it. It was not a pleasing composition and was more difficult than what I wanted for the class.

By seeing the reworked quilt on the design wall as I worked on other things in the studio I came up with an appropriate and also easy quilting design to complete it.

I love this quilt and can’t wait to finish it.

9 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

When I saw your thumbnail, I knew I had to go see your quilt. Love it - a beautiful use of color. So striking.

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow that is a happy quilt. So great to have some pieced background for your main design.

Peggy said...

Wow - I thought this was Whimsy over Tradition, until I saw the butterfly inset. I like the flow of the applique over the geometric. It is a happy quilt. Pretty!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Holy cow! This quilt really DOES make me happy! Great re-make, Kay.

Debbie Jones said...

I love what you did here, Kay!

Sue said...

I love all that cheerful applique.

Windy Hill Happenings said...

It is so happy!! Love the colors

Gari in AL said...

Both the quilt and the creative process are beautiful and impressive.

Robbie said...

Well, you are just so productive! Love each and every piece!!!