Saturday, September 10, 2011

Patriotic Puff Quilt

Years ago I taught many sewing with knits classes.
The first project in the beginning class was a T shirt. Since I taught this class over and over (at least 100 times) I had many scraps of t shirt fabric.



So what does a sewer do with scraps?
Make a quilt of course.

T shirt fabrics did not lend themselves to traditional style quilts.
I made a puff quilt from some of the red, white and blue t shirt fabric scraps.

It was a time consuming proposition making and stuffing each individual puff. I didn't make this for anyone in particular. My oldest granddaughter fell in love with it and I gave it to her over 10 years ago.

I am in the process of trying to document as many of the 361 quilts I have made over the years as possible. I believe the list I have includes them all. When I started making quilts a lot of them were given away before I took pictures. I am attempting to track down as many of them as possible to photograph.

When Heidi was over recently I told her what I was trying to do and she just happened to have this quilt in her car. I've photographed it and I washed it for her. It washed well.

As we remember 9/11 this is a fitting quilt to showcase our patriotism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay!

I was wondering if you could suggest a good tutorial for making this quilt. I've never made a quilt before, and would like to make a puff/biscuit quilt like this, out of my husband's old t-shirts. Does this quilt require any stabilizing fabric/spray? I'd prefer to make the quilt without it, if at all possible.

Thank you so much for any input or guidance, I really appreciate it!

Happy quilting ^_^
Zoe