Friday, June 24, 2011

Ancient Glass Artifacts On Display


I came up with a way to display and enjoy the ancient artifacts I unearthed in the studio annex excavation this week.


I have arranged them in a color flow order in the office/guestroom.


I enjoy arranging things to be visually pleasing.


You may have noticed that there are many things here I didn't show you before.
OK, you didn't notice, but pretend you did! Some of them were still being washed when I took the previous photos, and some of them came from the minor basement excavation.
As I was going through the effort of arranging all of these things, I realized almost everything will have to be moved again in a little over a month. The window behind the light bridge is going to be replaced. That should not be very difficult as I have photos so I will know where to put things next time. Even with photos I usually come up with slightly different placements each time I do something like this.



I had a lot of small items which would get lost on the top shelf so I put those in the bookcase on the opposite wall. I guess we may have to call this the "Glass Room".

This room was originally our sons bedroom. I asked my oldest son to look at it and see what I had done to it. He came out and said he didn't see anything different. He really had no idea what it looked like for the last several years. It has been almost 30 years since he moved out of the room, and I do frequent changes with accessories. The furniture is all very neutral so I can change color to my hearts content.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time your son comes ask him to dust the "glass". From here on out he would remember EXACTLY what was in the room.

Love the name.....Glass Room.... now where did I put the blue glass that came from my mother's house??? Would probably have to excavate the storage area across town..... Texas

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Fortunately my house doesn't get dusty.
I have electronic air purifiers on the furnace.
Windows are rarely opened since heat or AC are almost always on.
No one smokes in the house.
There are no pets except an occasional visiting granddog.
When I tried to dust the shelves before I put these things up there I didn't find any dust and it hadn't been dusted for quite a while.
That room probably stays the cleanest of all, even though I didn't think of that when I choose it for the desplay.

Anonymous said...

Looks great - you are very fortunate that you house doesn't collect dust. Our house is always full of dust. Anyone offering to dust my house...free accommodation will be provided..... :)

Robin said...

love all the colors. how about a couple of puzzles from the glass and buttons. Great inspiration for a quilt.

Linda Evans said...

I liked the first picture better with similar colors grouped together. When you display all one color together, it is not as interesting. Think how a quilt of ail one color looks compared to a quilt with different colors. But they are all so beautiful and what fun to be able to play with their arrangement. It's like having a "glass stash"!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Linda, Wish I could get a photo of the entire arrangement so you could see how each color blends into the next.
Then it would make more sense.
the room is too small (I think) to do that but I'll try.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Robin, That's a great idea.
I'll try to do a post with just puzzles - maybe later today????

Cynthia Wenslow said...

I arrange things in my home in color order, too. It's less visually distracting.

My husband is not so crazy about it, as he doesn't always remember the book he wants to read has a red spine. ;)

Norma Schlager said...

Your glass collection is lovely and I like the way you arranged them with one color flowing into the next. did you really unearth all of them in an excavation? Who would have so many bottles buried?

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Cynthia, I too did the color flow arrangement with my books. I did keep like categoried together though.
It does make it a little harder to find a book, but the pleasure I derive from looking at them makes it worth it, as I sure is the case for you too.
Since the books are MY quilt/art book collection no one else really uses them.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I DID IT!
I have just done a blog post entirely of puzzles with the buttons!

very merry vintage style said...

Love how you arranged them by color... very nice! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday--hope you'll be back this week!
Mary