Friday, April 8, 2011

Sunrise - Sunset Quilt

I needed to do some sewing. I didn't want to do something that would make me work hard designing and just give me a little time at the machine. I had read on the Internet about a quilt that was made from a Jelly Roll.
The Jelly Roll for that quilt included 40 different fabrics cut into strips 2 1/2 inches wide by the width of the fabric.
Of course I couldn't find the directions when I wanted to do this so I decided to wing it.



I cut about 36 or 38 fabrics into 2 1/2 inch strips. Finding enough batiks in my fabric collection was a challenge. I was determined to do this without buying any. I only had about 27 batiks that I could find in my fabric collection. I then dug into some project trays and found more that I could use to make it work.

These are the fabrics I chose to use. They are all batiks and I knew they would play well together, in addition to being easy to sew without some of them stretching.



I joined each strip to another one with a small section of a black and white batik between them. That is what you see in this photo.

Now the real fun will begin as I create the quilt from this one long strip. Don't you think they look great?

It would have been much quicker and easier to make this from a precut Jelly Roll package. It also would NOT have been as much fun, nor as personal. I can't wait to finish piecing this as I know I am going to love it.

Sometimes simple is best. We need to leave our brain free to create while we do routine repetitive type tasks.

6 comments:

Eleanor Levie said...

how exciting! and whatta fun way to just go at it. Gonna use a design wall at some point? I have a feeling it'll be wonderful, esp punctuated by those small rectangles of black and white...

Eleanor Levie said...

by the way, that last comment was from me, Eleanor Levie (and yes, I am Sam's Mom!)

Sharon Robinson said...

Hi, just a fellow quilter and random quilt-blog surfer here. I just love your approach. Sometimes its hard to figure out how to be intuitive with out just blobbing things together. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it!

Sharon Robinson said...

Sorry I said just three times in one comment. Maybe I should proofread once in a while. ;)

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Sharon, I'm not the grammar police!
Thanks for our comments.

Rayna said...

Ahhhhhh- therapy sewing. Where would we be without it?