Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What do you do without a design wall?


I've probably had these 63 blocks finished about a week now. I don't have space for a design wall here and was trying to figure out what to do. Yesterday I came up with the "brilliant" idea of pinning a piece of cotton batting to the large quilt I have hanging on the wall and using it for a design wall.
It worked extremely well.


This shows all 63 blocks with the orientation I expect to use for the quilt. This is the first photo just as I put them on the wall in a somewhat random arrangement. It is quite obvious that I will have to move some of them around a bit.
It is much easier for me to see that in the photo than by looking at the blocks on the wall. I will start to move them around and take more photos evaluating each arrangement as I go.
Once I am pleased with the arrangement I can take them down by row, label them and sew them any time.
I will not make a border fabric selection until they are sewn together.

I used the light bulb cut since I had such a light bulb moment with my design wall idea!
Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

I think that are stunning just the way you have them. It makes my eye travel in an S pattern!

Eva said...

When I first saw a photo of a traditional quilt, I remember a feeling like being homesick, although we don't have a quilting tradition in Germany and I never travelled the USA. Not in this life.
Your quilt evokes something similar in me.