Saturday, September 19, 2009

Endless Possibilities with the Log Cabin block

These off center Log Cabin blocks were one of my first experiments with paper piecing.
I used a gridded paper with 1/2 inch squares. The narrow strips are 1/2 inch and the wide strips are 1 inch. By varying the width of the strips you get the curve illusion.

I was amazed when I saw how many variations I could get with just 16 blocks.

I thought some of them were quite interesting and others left a lot to be desired.

As you look at these I would guess some of you are drawn to the more symmetrical layouts and others prefer the asymmetrical layouts.

These are just a small percentage of the designs I could have created with these block.
The last one you see is the layout I chose.


This is the finished quilt.
Click on the photo to see a larger version of it. My hand quilting emphasizes the curves created by the arrangement of the blocks.

Tonight you get a puzzle and a geography less.
Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Log cabin is a fun block and I never get tired of it.

Vicki W said...

If I could only make log cabin blocks for the rest of my life I would be happy!