Wednesday, February 11, 2009

June 7 from Quilts: Another Dimension


June 7 was designed after June 6. Often something in one piece sparks a design idea for the next.

Some of the fabrics in this quilt were fabrics I created that I didn't think were successful. It's amazing what you can do with a fabric that you don't think is successful when you cut it into smaller pieces. You can showcase the good parts or use the so so parts where you want something that just sits there and doesn't say "Look at me"!

Many of the fabrics I used in this series have a lot happening in them with color and pattern. Finding things that worked together was a challenge. Once I found the right combinations the sewing was a snap. Well, usually. Often I would put the pieces back on the design wall as I worked and had to trim some, take some out and add new ones until I was totally pleased with what was happening. Sometimes a piece I thought was finished told me it needed more work as I worked on later pieces.

When I was satisfied I put them off to the side on the design wall and started another or worked on other pieces I already had on the wall in various stages of design. I made no attempt to shift gears and quilt any of these as I didn't want to interrupt the flow of designing. I know many others would not be comfortable starting so many pieces and not finishing any before starting more. We all have different working styles. There is no right or wrong here, just different.

I was very prolific creating work during this month, more so than I had ever been before. I feel my years of creating, designing, constructing, trouble shooting, problem solving and living my life all came together to make this happen.

Tonight's puzzle is the focal fabric in this quilt.
Click to Mix and Solve

No comments: