Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!!!!!


Quilter blogs is a site that features posts from many blogs.
I went to check it out the other night and found my blog. Then I scrolled down and found a photo of someone who looked familiar. No - it couldn't be - it had been at least 10 years since I had seen Cyndi Wheeler. It couldn't be her because this lady didn't look any older than she did the last time I saw her. I continued to scroll down and this is what it said:

Today was my guild's Christmas coffee. I am so thankful to be a part of this group. I learn something from other members constantly. And they are so giving!
Of course I saw many beautiful Christmas sweaters, vests, sweat shirts, t-shirts, and jackets on members this morning, but this one really caught my attention. This is Cyndi Wheeler modeling her creation.
She sewed antique button on the shirt and drizzled metallic paint around them. What a lovely Christmas tree!

I immediately emailed Julia at: http://greenquilts.blogspot.com/
Cindi and I have only kept in touch through occasional Christmas cards since I last saw her. Julia forwarded my email to Cindy.

This was Cindi's story on Julia's site the a few days later:

Yesterday Julia Wood took a picture of me and my Christmas tree sweatshirt that I had on and posted pictures on her blog.
A friend of mine in Wisconsin (who actually introduced me to quilting in the 70's and that I've really not communicated with except through Christmas cards over the years) was on Julia's blog yesterday, saw my picture, said, "That looks like Cyndi Wheeler!", read the blog and found out it was me, and then wrote to Julia to get her to say hello to me (because she didn't have my email address)! What a small world. I promise that I will communicate with her and try to be a better friend!"

Julia said: Isn't that cool? It's wonderful how the internet brings us closer. I read blogs from around the world now, and I've had people from approximately 40 countries read my blog. It is a small world, indeed.

If you'd like to see a close up of Cindi's clever idea visit Julia's blog. I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit.

Yes, I woke up the next morning to a lovely email from Cindy along with photos of the projects she has recently finished. I also sent her an email and we've promised to keep in closer touch.

When I started this blog I never dreamed I would connect with long time friends who I had lost touch with. The world is getting smaller every day. I think I could write a second blog with all my small world stories!

I should have a puzzle with another reunion with friends and family but I don't have photos on the computer.

So I will close with this photo from several Christmases ago. We made ice luminarias to hold candles in our yard. It was the coldest Christmas season I can remember so it was perfect for this project. We filled 5 gallon buckets with water and put them on the deck to freeze for 16-24 hours. They were ready when there was a thick wall of ice with water remaining in the center. We poured out the water and ran hot water over the pails to release out luminarias. We put a candle in each one and lined the sidewalks in both the front and back yards. We made at least 50. When you are a fabric dyer you have a LOT of 5 gallon buckets! We had a lot of snow so it made a picture perfect winter wonderland in our yard. The only problem is when it snowed a lot we had to scoop out the snow from 50 buckets before we could light the candles each evening.
I wanted to let you see the full size photo so you know what you are putting together.
Click to Mix and Solve

1 comment:

tesuque said...

It wouldn't take 16 hours for my buckets of water to freeze - it's minus 16F, and don't even think about the windchill!
The ice luminaria is a bright idea my niece's kids probably would enjoy making.