Monday, September 15, 2008

Quilts for the Millennium


I sometimes introduce myself by saying "My name is Kay, - I don't do bed quilts - Sorensen.

I made an exception to that for the Millennium. I made a king size charm quilt for each of my 8 grandchildren.

Each quilt has 2000 different fabrics with a Millennium Border Print.
I traded fabric with over 350 people from around the world to do the project.

The grandchildren are only allowed to sleep under them on New Year's Eve or other special occasions. Each quilt is accompanied by a Journal so they can record their activities, photos and share where they were each time they use the quilts.

They were started in April 1999 and finished on December 15, 1999.

This would not have been possible if I had not had Sandy Schilawski of Green Bay, Wisconsin quilt them. She did a fantastic job and I really appreciated it.

No one was more amazed than me that I finished all 8 in that period of time!

The photo shows only 1 quilt but there are REALLY 8 - each with different borders and backings, but all with similar color layouts.

11 comments:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Small world --- I met Sandy at a retreat in Wisconsin years ago. Welcome to the world of blogging!

Cynthia said...

Wow! You just won the title of World's Best Grandma. That is an impressive accomplishment!

Norma Schlager said...

Hi Kay, Your Millennium quilts are fabulous! I can't imagine doing eight. I like the quilt on your header a lot. What a clever way to hang it. Welcome to blogdom.

Unknown said...

Wow! Your millenium quilt is beautiful! Eight in less than a year?! Talk about flying fingers! Best wishes on your new blog.

Vivien Zepf said...

Welcome to blogging! Your quilts are amazing; lucky grandkids. Looking forward to checking back in regularly.

Sherryl said...

Wow! An overachiever for sure!! Welcome to the world of blogging Kay. Your grandchildren are very lucky to have such beautiful gifts. I love what you did with quilt on your header.

MargB said...

Your millenium quilts are the most wonderful treasures - you have lucky grandchildren

laura west kong said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! Hope you enjoy the world of blogging. ^_^

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Hi Kay, I took one of your workshops many, many years ago. Welcome to blogging. If you add your email address to your profile you won't come up as a no reply blogger when you leave a comment. I made quite a few charm quilts too back in 1988-1990 . I love this one of yours as I love any pattern with a chain. I know you have a lot of wonderful stuff to show us.
Wanda

margaret said...

Oh my, what a wonderful project! And how thoughtful to include a record book with each quilt - they'll all look back on this with such pleasure.

margaret said...

Oh my, what a wonderful project! And how thoughtful to include a record book with each quilt - they'll all look back on this with such pleasure.